Author Topic: Matt 10:28 "destroy body and soul"  (Read 13243 times)

Offline fullarmor2

Matt 10:28 "destroy body and soul"
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:29:07 AM »
    Jesus said "fear him who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna".     My thought on this is that its referring to physical death only.   Thats what death is. The destruction of body and soul.  The body goes back to dust. The soul, which is the senses and feelings for the body,  ceases to exist with no living body.  And the spirit of the person goes into the "unseen" back to God who gave it,  without consciousness or awareness.   Sort of like being asleep I would think.  The person will not exist again until they are resurrected by God. At which time, God will bring the person's body up again, restore the spirit, bringing life again which restores the soul. 
    I did a study on the words resurrection, rouse, vivify, soul, and spirit,  from the CLT  and it led to me having this view on death.   My point is,  so many people think that Jesus is referring to unending punishment in the next life here when it says "destroy body and SOUL"  and it doesn't.   The soul is destroyed whenever the body is destroyed.  Again its just physical death is all.
For all those who live in the shadow of death,  a glorious light has dawned!  And for all those who stumble in the darkness,   behold,   your light has come!!

Offline thinktank

• Silver
Re: Matt 10:28 "destroy body and soul"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:20:08 AM »
I agree, except pherhaps we differ on the spirit aspect. I see that Jesus makes no mention of the spirit of man in this passage, so more evidence that ghenna is a place of destruction, that destroys body and soul.

Whereas the lake of fire seems to be about cleansing. Unless Jesus is refering about soul being cleansed/destroyed in the lake of fire, but the problem with this is that it does not talk or mentions about the spirit of man that is withinhim, that also needs to be cleansed and in my personal view, I think that it is the spirit within man that needs to be cleansed in the lake of holy fire, whereas the body and soul are being cleansed now in the believers through sanctification, while Gods fire purifies the belivers spirit.

So I perceive that Jesus is comparing the day of judgment to ghenna, that we are to fear God because he is able to destroy our bodies on the day of judgment, just as he destroyed the bodies of those during the time of Noah.

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »
EBREccl 12
7 And the dust return to the earth, as it was,––and, the spirit, return unto God, who gave it.

1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »
2 Kings 2:11
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

There you go--body and soul to heaven.

Proverbs 10:25
As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.

The whirlwind scatters the dust of the wicked but is a foundation to the righteous.

Remember during threshing the wind scatters the chaff but the grain falls in place.  That's why they throw the grain up into the air, so the chaff will blow away.

Isaiah 40:24
Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.

Hosea 8:7
For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk; the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.

Nothing shall be left of the wicked, clouds without water.

Nahum 1:3
The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
    Jesus said "fear him who is able to destroy both body and soul in Gehenna".     My thought on this is that its referring to physical death only.   Thats what death is. The destruction of body and soul.

If you look at the whole verse, I think you will notice that what you wrote cannot be right, as Jesus speaks of the destruction of the body and the destruction of the soul as separate and distinct: "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul:"

This implies that men can kill the body, but not the soul. Something remains and survives death; the Greek word is psuche ψυχή. It means heart, mind, life, soul.

It is certain that God's memory of his saints would not pass away upon their death. 

The body goes back to dust. The soul, which is the senses and feelings for the body,  ceases to exist with no living body.  And the spirit of the person goes into the "unseen" back to God who gave it,  without consciousness or awareness.   Sort of like being asleep I would think.  The person will not exist again until they are resurrected by God. At which time, God will bring the person's body up again, restore the spirit, bringing life again which restores the soul. 

The soul must be the personality and character. In the context, Jesus was telling his disciples not to be afraid of men, when witnessing to Christ and the gospel. The previous verse says, "What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops." Housetops were evidently a way that news or information was spread quickly throughout the city, in the days before newspapers, radios, TV, the Internet etc. In a following verse he said, "whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven."

I did a study on the words resurrection, rouse, vivify, soul, and spirit,  from the CLT  and it led to me having this view on death.   My point is,  so many people think that Jesus is referring to unending punishment in the next life here when it says "destroy body and SOUL"  and it doesn't.   The soul is destroyed whenever the body is destroyed.  Again its just physical death is all.

When he mentioned Gehenna, Jesus referred to the valley of Hinnom, which is a short valley, outside the city of Jerusalem, on the south west, and southern sides of the city.

Jesus contrasts being cast into Gehenna with being safe within the holy city, which represents the kingdom of God.

Jesus called Jerusalem "the city of the great King," and he is the king, born to inherit the throne of David. In Isaiah's prophecy, Jerusalem was to be raised up, and established in the top of the mountains, and this is fulfilled, in the New Testament, where Jerusalem is in heaven. It was raised up when Jesus ascended to heaven, Acts 1:9.

The "city of the great King" is the heavenly Jerusalem, the holy city, the camp of the saints, not the earthly city, which like Hagar, was cast out of Abraham's house. (Galatians 4:25-30)

The saints are those in the heavenly Jerusalem. Jesus said, "Salvation is of the Jews." [John 4:22] The saints are identified as "Jews" and "the circumcision" in a spiritual sense.[Philippians 3:3] Paul explained that the real Jew is one who is a "Jew inwardly;" his "circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." [Romans 2:29]

The prophets spoke of Jerusalem as being the city of the saints; Isaiah said, "We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks" [Isaiah 26:1] "thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise." [Isaiah 60:18]

So Jerusalem represents salvation, and Gehenna is a metaphor representing the place or the judgment of those accounted unfit for the kingdom, as the foolish virgins in the parable of the 10 virgins, [Matthew 25:1-13] and like the man who was not wearing a wedding garment, in Matthew 22:11-13.

Doug

Gehenna and the land promise

Offline fullarmor2

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
2 Kings 2:11
And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

There you go--body and soul to heaven.

Proverbs 10:25
As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.

The whirlwind scatters the dust of the wicked but is a foundation to the righteous.

Remember during threshing the wind scatters the chaff but the grain falls in place.  That's why they throw the grain up into the air, so the chaff will blow away.

Isaiah 40:24
Yea, they shall not be planted; yea, they shall not be sown: yea, their stock shall not take root in the earth: and he shall also blow upon them, and they shall wither, and the whirlwind shall take them away as stubble.

Hosea 8:7
For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind: it hath no stalk; the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up.

Nothing shall be left of the wicked, clouds without water.

Nahum 1:3
The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
   Didn't  Paul say that our bodies cannot go to Heaven?  So Elijah would have had to of been changed,  which would be destruction of his temporary body/soul so he could have the right type of body? Anyway, I don't know about Elijah's experience.  Scripture doesn't say much about it. I wouldn't base any doctrine on it.   For all we know he could have only been caught up for a visit, and then had to come back and die. Like Paul.
For all those who live in the shadow of death,  a glorious light has dawned!  And for all those who stumble in the darkness,   behold,   your light has come!!

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
Quote from: fullarmor
Didn't  Paul say that our bodies cannot go to Heaven? 

Paul said this:

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.
--2 Cor 12

In his case, he did return because he was meant to return.  I suspect the reason he didn't know if he was in or out of the body is because he still had the sensation of being in the body.

You guys are the only Christians I have ever met who believe we do not go directly to heaven when we die. [Not that I've met that many Christians.] We don't have to carry this body of flesh with us to do it.  God has prepared a tabernacle for us in heaven that is eternal.

Offline fullarmor2

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
If you look at the whole verse, I think you will notice that what you wrote cannot be right, as Jesus speaks of the destruction of the body and the destruction of the soul as separate and distinct: "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul:"

This implies that men can kill the body, but not the soul. Something remains and survives death; the Greek word is psuche ψυχή. It means heart, mind, life, soul.

It is certain that God's memory of his saints would not pass away upon their death. 

That is a good point.    I thought all that remains after death is the spirit until God rouses and vivifies.

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
PS That verb Paul uses when he says he was "caught up" to the third heaven is the 'rapture' word--harpazo.

G726
ἁρπάζω
harpazō
har-pad'-zo
From a derivative of G138; to seize (in various applications): - catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).

Offline fullarmor2

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »

Paul said this:

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.
--2 Cor 12

In his case, he did return because he was meant to return.  I suspect the reason he didn't know if he was in or out of the body is because he still had the sensation of being in the body.

You guys are the only Christians I have ever met who believe we do not go directly to heaven when we die. [Not that I've met that many Christians.] We don't have to carry this body of flesh with us to do it.  God has prepared a tabernacle for us in heaven that is eternal.

I was pointing out that Paul said "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom", "this mortal must put on immortality".   So if Elijah went to Heaven and stayed then he needed to be changed.    But Jesus was the first to be changed like that  so I don't know about Elijah's experience. Paul said Jesus alone has immortality.  Everyone else is awaiting resurrection, rousal, and vivification  according to the flavor of interpretation that I am studying these days. lol
    What does it matter whether we go immediately to heaven or not at death?  If soul sleep is correct it will still feel immediate no matter how long you were asleep you know?    Also wouldn't it be nice to experience Heaven for the first time together with your loved ones?  As opposed to them already being there before you?  Anyway, I did start leaning towards the soul sleep position shortly  after coming to believe UR a few years ago.  There are some good scholarly people who teach it.  And I didn't mind giving up my earlier position of "to be absent is to be present with the Lord"  because I learned that in turn or burn theology which seems to be wrong about everything else.  So its probably wrong about this topic as well I bet. 

Doug

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »

That is a good point.    I thought all that remains after death is the spirit until God rouses and vivifies.

Revelation 14:13
And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Gehenna and the land promise

Offline fullarmor2

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
Revelation 14:13
And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Great verse.    Those who die are indeed set free from the futility of this life to rest in peace in the grave until resurrection.  This could be referring to people who die and get resurrected right away without having to sleep for a long time.   A beautiful scene either way!

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »

Paul said this:

--2 Cor 12

I may not be understanding what you are saying.

Is this not a true statement by Jesus?
Joh 3:13  and no one hath gone up to the heaven, except he who out of the heaven came down--the Son of Man who is in the heaven.
Also does one believe that this was a literal experience? Paul specificly says "..whether in the body I have not known, whether out of the body I have not known,..."It seems to be that it was a spirit revelation, Paul was aloud to see.

2Co 12:2  I have known a man in Christ, fourteen years ago--whether in the body I have not known, whether out of the body I have not known, God hath known--such an one being caught away unto the third heaven;

Where in the Bible does it say that when we die we go to heaven?
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »
And """"""no man"""""""" hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, [even] the Son of man which is in heaven. 
If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you [of] heavenly things?

Jhn 3:14   And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:  

He that descended is HE is ascended so all things Be fulfilled
Eph 4:9   (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 

Eph 4:10   He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) 
 :icon_flower:
seek the understanding of the serpent--- maybe putting this into the context of what the lord is saying :icon_flower:

TRUTH is revealed within , NOT SORT by LOOKING OUT
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:24:14 PM by Taffy »
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
The "simples." I try I really pray for understanding but I continue to remain befuddled when you post the "simples." I am not trying to be a smart aleck, I just dont get your teachings a good part of the time.
Like this "....seek the understanding of the serpent..."  :sigh:
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »
The "simples." I try I really pray for understanding but I continue to remain befuddled when you post the "simples." I am not trying to be a smart aleck, I just dont get your teachings a good part of the time.

I mean NO offence - WE have two ways of approaching scripture-- seeing and Understanding ONLY the literal OR\with seeing the figurative\parable of what is said--- and one can not teach that-- as ITS only revealed within---THis for me is exactly what lord is saying to the Nicademous-----

HES not confusing Nicademous at all- but Nic is is still seeing only the DUSTY level- the confusion as always layin that eartly wisdom KNOWN AS THE cARNAL MIND WHICHto remains in the DUST
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:37:37 PM by Taffy »
Isa 29:18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »

Taffy,
Please share your spiritual understanding of what the serpent of Moses represents.

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »

The serpent is the Carnal mind- and this for you is a Stumbling Block--- which was Raised upon a POLE in the WILDENESS BY MOSES--- the SERPENT was BRASS meaning Judgment , the same brass of the ALTER which ANimal[ christ] were BURNED for  forgiveness of sin--- The serpent of BRASS on the pole means the SERPENT [ CARNAL MIND ] has been Judged -

who ELSE was RAISED upon a POLE made of wood WHO TOO WAS judged? Yes The LORD on the CROSS who DIED for the very same Carnal Mind wich was Birthed in the GARDEN---   our carnal mind through FAITH are baptised into HIS death , =the perishing of the carnal mind , being RAISED with HIM= moving from DEATH to LIFE which is the symbolism shown in this scripture---MAN entered and descended in the very LOWER depths of the EARTH= HELL= DEATH-- where The LORD joined USin OUR DEATH by which we will be raised[ ascend ] WITH him---

RIGHT now we are In the heanenlies--- sitting  with HIM----   why because the OLD MAN is is dead.. ITS MAN who can not enter the heavens--- not the spiritual man----

Blessings :icon_flower:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:46:06 PM by Taffy »

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 05:50:28 PM »
now ask your self why  can we WALK on SERPENTS--- are they Literal like many believe? why didnt the VIPER HURT paul--- alas through the CROSS the Carnal mind can no longer RULE us as HE is the POWER which OVERCOMES as we YEILD[ press into him daily]

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 06:05:14 PM »

Taffy,
Please share your spiritual understanding of what the serpent of Moses represents.

Hi Beloved Servant

Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people. 

Num 21:8   And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live. 

Num 21:9   And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived. 

They  """SPOKE" AGAINST HIM, would that not mean STOOD in Opposition or were aADVERSE in their MIND to HIM] NOW being compared with the the SERPENTS--- why serpents--- why the serpent is in every MAN, that carnal BEAST known as DEATH- the liar -- if you spoke against TRUTH who IS THE LORD--- would you not be a FALSE witness?

This symbolism shows US again the CROSS---shown but hidden MANY times in Genesis - so we see MEN wherethey  looked= to see means to understand  they werent KILLED-they lived- neither the SERPENTS who were in the DESERT could HURT THEM---

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:12:55 PM by Taffy »

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »

Taffy,
that reminds me of the Scriptures that tell us of the "renewing of our minds" and "putting on the Mind of Christ."

Is this how we are set free?

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »

Taffy,
that reminds me of the Scriptures that tell us of the "renewing of our minds" and "putting on the Mind of Christ."

Is this how we are set free?
Its the Carnal MIND which is In PRISON , in Bondage, In DEATH, the Enemy, etc- we now realise we are the WORKS of HIS handS within  ,renewing our minds daily , as HE cast off more scales  ,But its MORE then This, HIS name is HIS Nature as we press in the more we grow after him--laying down the flesh is a PAINFUL experience-- what we come to discuss isunderstood by our walk with HIM- not the other way about---  :icon_flower:

we ARE free FROM DEATH and tat which caused it
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:20:35 PM by Taffy »

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »

I was given to smile one day when I read of a young boy that after he understood that Jesus lives within him and stands at the door and knocks exclaimed:
Oh! I get it — Jesus isn't looking to get in — He's looking to get OUT!

Offline Taffy

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »

I was given to smile one day when I read of a young boy that after he understood that Jesus lives within him and stands at the door and knocks exclaimed:
:HeartThrob: from the mouth of Babes :icon_flower:

Offline Molly

• Gold
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:06 PM »

:HeartThrob: from the mouth of Babes :icon_flower:

That's cute, but that's not what the passage says.

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

[I will] "come in" [ to him]

G1525
εἰσέρχομαι
eiserchomai
ice-er'-khom-ahee
From G1519 and G2064; to enter (literally or figuratively): - X arise, come (in, into), enter in (-to), go in (through).