Author Topic: Great article!  (Read 1800 times)

Paul

Great article!
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:36:45 AM »
This article explained Gehenna to me. I went to Edit > Find in my browser and searched hades and started reading from there.

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/eternal.htm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:41:13 AM by Paul »

Chaplain

Re: Great article!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:02:12 AM »
Hello Paul,

As a Presbyterian in Church leadership, I was required to understand and agree with these articles and do!

However, if one visits my article on the Differences between Everlasting and Eternal; they might discover that a large difference exists between the two words, or (at least I believe there is).

Eternal (who is God alone) is often confused with the word "Eternity" that is confused with the word Everlasting.

However the meaning of the word "everlasting" signifies a beginning but no end; so hell being a place of Eternal Fire or (God's Fire) would not have the same meaning as Everlasting Fire ( that has a starting point, but goes on and on forever and never stops).

Jesus said that He was the Alpha and Omega; (the begging and the end) who is what God is alone, (Eternal). So, I just wanted to draw a distinction between two words that I believe are often misunderstood and misused.

The Bible states that Hell is a place of "Eternal fire", and not "Everlasting fire", so this "could" Biblically be a very important point to take notice of theologically, and is worth noting.

Moreover though, I do not feel (as far as I am concerned) that it should have much of an impact on what we as Christians are called to do in this life as being witnesses for Christ!

Frankly it should be a mute point as far as orthodoxy is concerned, and should not be a threatening thing to look at within perspective.

Respectfully Submitted,

Offline CHB

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:05:48 AM »
Quote from: Chaplain
However the meaning of the word "everlasting" signifies a beginning but no end; so hell being a place of Eternal Fire or (God's Fire) would not have the same meaning as Everlasting Fire ( that has a starting point, but goes on and on forever and never stops).

Having a beginning and end cannot mean eternal because eternal is without beginning or end. Got the Father does not have a beginning or end and he is eternal.

CHB

Chaplain

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 01:50:58 AM »
Paul,

I agree; you worded that much better than I did, (but that is my point exactly), in that Eternal Fire are much different than Everlasting Fire, but are too often confused as interchangeable.

So this might indicate that hell may not go on forever...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:14:57 AM by Chaplain »

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:29:19 PM »
Eternal or everlasting is exactly the same duration for those cast in Hell because their punishment has a start.
So it doesn't really matter how long that fire was burning.

Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Seems the fire has a start.
Everlasting is a wrong translation of aionion.

Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into age-during fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

So the fire has a beginning and an end.
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

joyful1

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 01:13:52 AM »
very good, wabbit!  :icon_flower:
you are beginning to sound like a believer!
how could THAT be ?? :Chinscratch: