Author Topic: 2Peter mist of darkness  (Read 3015 times)

Offline thinktank

• Silver
2Peter mist of darkness
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:02:33 AM »
The chapter talks about people who have gone astray

10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.

What is this mist of darkness, is it forever?

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
Re: 2Peter mist of darkness
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
Darkness will be "poured out" on the kingdom of the beast.  God "wraps Himself with thick darkness."  "Darkness is His secret place."  Similar to what a laser light is to ordinary light, thick darkness is to ordinary darkness.  It is now thought that maybe 95% of the substance in this universe is dark energy and dark matter.  The Concordant Literal has:  "These are waterless springs, and mists driven by a storm, for whom the gloom of darkness has been kept." 2 Peter 217  Nothing about forever and it is the "gloom of darkness," not the men that,  "has been kept."  In a similar writing, the book of Jude in verse 6 (of the same Version) has:  "...messengers who keep not their own sovereignty, but leave their own habitation, He has kept in imperceptible bonds under gloom for the judging of the great day."  "The darkness and the light are alike unto Thee."
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline Paul L

• Est
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »
Darkness will be "poured out" on the kingdom of the beast.  God "wraps Himself with thick darkness."  "Darkness is His secret place."  Similar to what a laser light is to ordinary light, thick darkness is to ordinary darkness.  It is now thought that maybe 95% of the substance in this universe is dark energy and dark matter.  The Concordant Literal has:  "These are waterless springs, and mists driven by a storm, for whom the gloom of darkness has been kept." 2 Peter 217  Nothing about forever and it is the "gloom of darkness," not the men that,  "has been kept."  In a similar writing, the book of Jude in verse 6 (of the same Version) has:  "...messengers who keep not their own sovereignty, but leave their own habitation, He has kept in imperceptible bonds under gloom for the judging of the great day."  "The darkness and the light are alike unto Thee."

When you start talking "dark energy" you are talking the area of endeavor I work in as an Electrical Engineer working in the field of energy engineering.. There is an unaccounted force that keeps the universe from flying apart, from collapsing in on itself, if there were no force to counter gravitational forces that would cause the heavenly bodies of the universe to collapse in on themselves, the universe could not sustain itself through "Conservation of Energy" & the first & second laws of Thermodynamics.

Astronomy is a hobby of mine along with astro-physics, and this stuff you bring up in 2 Pet  along with "dark energy" is subject matter that has long fascinated me. Where is (are?) the location(s) these rebellious messengers (angels) are being held to a day of judgement? I think the place they are bound is somewhere in vast vast inky spaces of the universe God created some 14 billion or so years ago. And from anything else I can figure out it is those of us who presently constitute the Body of Christ who will be doing the judging of these fallen messengers who are demonic spirits, 1 Cor 6:3.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 05:35:54 PM by Paul L »

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
 BLACK HOLES? ABYSS?..THINKING OF THOSE THAT TO THE CHILDREN OF LIGHT[STARS]

ARE A SNARE AND A TRAP....GRAVITY AS THE [GRAVE]..TARPOOLS ON EARTH/PITCH

GOD WRAPPING HIMSELF IN THICK DARKNESS CAN ALSO BEE THE BLACK HORSES HE

SENDS OUT TO THE NORTH[BABYLON]

BLACKER THEN ANY EARTHLY DARKNESS[OF MANKIND] IS THE KINGDOM OF DARKNESS[EVIL

SPIRITS/IF THE LIGHT THAT BE IN YE,BE DARKNESS..HOW 'GREAT' IS THAT DARKNESS....

THINKING OF OFFSPRING OF VIPERS IN PHARISEES..THAT SAY 'I SEE'

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
REVELATION OF CHRIST  CH 2

YET I HOLD THIS AGAINST YOU..YOU HAVE FORSAKEN YOUR FIRST LOVE[DID NOT KEEP

YOUR PROPER DWELLING PLACE]  REMEMBER THE HEIGHT FROM WHICH YOU HAVE FALLEN

FALL[ING] AWAY    IF YOU DO NOT REPENT I WILL COME AN REMOVE YOUR LAMPSTAND

[BE CAST OUT INTO THE DARKNESS FROM THE HOLY CITY OF LIGHT/JERUSALEM ABOVE]

[LOVE IS THE WATER OF LIFE PEOPLE]

Offline thinktank

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
My thinking was this mist of darkness is hell or Hades for the dead. But the verse says it is reserved forever. Is this a mistranslation as to the same as the book of revelation, concerning the lake of fire.

Offline Paul L

• Est
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:29:22 AM »
My thinking was this mist of darkness is hell or Hades for the dead. But the verse says it is reserved forever. Is this a mistranslation as to the same as the book of revelation, concerning the lake of fire.

TT, it's  a mistranslation of the word "for ever" where it appears in the KJ, it is inserted where the Greek texts use aion, translated into English as eon or age.

Offline eaglesway

• < Moderator >
  • Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus
    • Hell is a Myth.com
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »
hell is a translation sheol 50 some times, Gehenna 13 times (actually most of them are repeats from the gospels of four uses of the word by our Lord). Once, in Jude, of Tartarus (abyss, pit).

Hebrew- Sheol (beyond the horizon, the unknowable, the grave)
Greek- Hades (place of the dead in Greek mythology, and the name of the god of the dead)
Latin-Inferno or infernum (Flames, obviously, place of the dead in Roman cosmology/mythology, intorduction of the idea of torments)
Hel (Norse cosmology/mythology, place of the dead, ruled by the goddess Hel or Hela- introduced into English lore and language by invading Danes and Jutes(Viking conquerors and raiders)
Hell (English, combining all of the baggage of the Greek, Latin, Hel- having NO RELATIONSHIP to Sheol)

The concepts could be applied to Gehenna and the lake of fire- but the word "hell" has nothing to do with the "theon" -purging fire of God(of the lake of fire), "g'hinnom" the garbage dump outside the city (where the wood hay and stubble get consumed)

In My Opinion the lake of fire is a is a holding cell in the presence of God and His holy messengers where darkness is consumed and every hidden thing is brought to the light until every knee bows and every adversary is redeemed :2c:

The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. hellisamyth.webs.com

Offline reFORMer

• < Moderator >
  • Psalm 133
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »

The Concordant Literal has:  "These are waterless springs, and mists driven by a storm, for whom the gloom of darkness has been kept." 2 Peter 217

There's nothing here about "forever."  There's no form of the word "eon" being used in the original text, which would otherwise be rendered as "for ever" in many versions.  Eon doesn't mean "eternal" anyway.  Eon refers to an age of time.

Additionally, the text refers to, "the gloom of darkness" as what "has been kept."  It's not the men that, "has been kept."  How long this special kind of darkness is kept has not been specified here.
I went to church; but, the Church wasn't on the program!  JESUS WANTS HIS BODY BACK!!  MEET WITHOUT HUMAN HEADSHIP!!!

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »
Father keeps this...kingdom of darkness as long as it serves as the evil contrast against the

Kingdom of sons of light...evil is done at night/but we are children of the day