Author Topic: Was the Catholic Church the only church at fault throughout Church History?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Universalist Catholic

I have noticed that it seems like History records the Catholic Church as being extremely corrupt, but I have noticed that it seems to not record too much about the Protestant Churches.  Or at least the Catholics get more publicity.  But I recall that the Protestants did some pretty bad things too.(Witch burnings, theocratic rulership in New England, plus the Reformers and the Protestant theologians could be just as bad as those Catholic popes and Bishops, and many of the canonized saints did some pretty bad things).  Ironically they all were hardcore Hell believers. 

Today, it seems like the Evangelical, and ultra-conservative Catholic Churches seem to be the most corrupt.(Televangelists, Jesus-Camp, Westboro Baptist Church, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and every evangelist who try to manipulate people into these cultish churches).  All hardcore hell believers.  Yet the Catholics and Mainstream Protestants are not so corrupt anymore, and there are very few hardcore hell believers in those denominations.  None of those churches ever preach much hell anymore. 

Offline Nathan

• Gold
I think any and every man-made religious establishment is missing the true message of Christ to the nations.  One thing our carnal nature is really good at is pointing the blame at others.  Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent.  If anything, it's the evidence of the fact that the old things have not yet been made new in them.  It's already complete in the spirit, it's the flesh that is yet to process it out.

Offline Universalist Catholic

I can definitely see religious people doing that all the time, especially the Apologists.  Every single apologetics website I have visited is aimed at labeling all other religions as false while theres is so "perfect".

Offline Nathan

• Gold
Yup, yup, yup!  My mind wants all other minds to be aware of how great it is.  How much knowledge it can obtain.  Knowledge is power.  The more information I gain about something, the more power I have to influence and intimidate others.  Accuracy becomes a mute point when it comes to natural reasoning.  One reason why people are decieved by others is because for one, the listener is searching for truth, which is saying the listener has not yet identified with truth so they can be easily pursuaded.  The aggressors take advantage of this.

So they give an ear to the ones talking and if they are judging through natural understanding, the person who convinces them is usually the one who "appears" to be the most confident.  Ever watch televangilsts that get themselves all up in a lather over their sermons?  They make it appear as though their words are the honest to God truth.  They have a stride of confidence in their walk.  Their posture is up and in your face.  Many of them are downright great entertainers and often times, people will follow you just for that.

But truth comes through "sound".  I can have all the confidence in the world and still project nothing but noise.  As a believer, the most important thing for me to identify is the "sound" of truth.  There's a lot of noise that comes out of people, but no sound.  Sound projects life.  It inspires life.  It has a depth to it that the hearer is not intimidated by.  We are the salt of the earth.  My natural reasoning looks at salt as a preserative of meat.  But spiritually, am I to preserve dead flesh?

No . . .others say salt is used to bring out the flavor.  Without it food is flat.  Who is our bread?  Is this then saying that without us, the bread of life would be flat?  I look at this passage to mean that I am the salt of the earth because it's my purpose to make others thirsty for more of God.  Noise doesn't make me thirsty, it makes me restless.  It makes me on edge.  But true sound makes me desire for more. 

Religion and religionism only leaves us with a ringing in our ears.  Just because the preacher is loud and emotional, doesn't guarantee his message is accurate and true.  The testing all things is not to take what someone says and do a biblical search on it to prove it's accuracy.  The testing is a discerning.  My mind can't discern.  Only our spirits have that ability. 

It is as David prayed.  "Search ME, oh God.  And KNOW (intimate relationship) my thoughts . . ."  I am an epistle.  When God opens me as a book, a new name is read because a new identity is given.  Rather than point my finger at other unfinished books around me, perhaps it's best I should read the book he's writing me out to be so that I may continue to manifest the likeness of Him.