Author Topic: The 2nd biggest stumbling block (the aionios God)  (Read 23568 times)

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
Re: The 2nd biggest stumbling block (the aionios God)
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Cardinal,

Basicly the problem is caused by this:
When judged the saints get aionios life and the wicked aionios torment.
The duraration of what they get is the same.
Elsewhere God is called aionios God. He existed forever so the ET argument is that the duration of the word is forever in all 3 cases.

Those who believe the wicked are anilihated argue the effect of the punishment is eternal. God is eternal. Life is eternal.

UR is a little more complex.
Some believe the word never means eternal. There are ages before and after.
Some believe the meaning of the word depends on the context in which it is read.

The purpose of the article on the site is to prove punishment (=ET hell) is not eternal.
So it's not about His Spirit or anyone elses spirit dying; but how long the suffering for that eternal spirit lasts.
 :2c:
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline Doc

• Jesus Christ is the Savior of ALL men.
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19:22 AM »
I've come across this interesting website:
http://www.mercifultruth.com/eternity.htm

If you scroll down you come to this section (although it's probably best to read from the beginning):

"The Truth about aionios-life (the life of the ages)
On stage the world over, Christians say: "Believe in Jesus, so that you can enter into eternal life when you die." Sounds great right? It is easily demonstrated how such a statement defiles the true victory of the cross, contradicts the Bible, and makes God a liar! How could that be? It be. Their argument is catastrophically flawed.

To understand why, let us immediately cut to to the truth: "aionios-life" is not immortality at all, and the Bible proves it! It was misunderstood by translators to be "everlasting life." But, the Bible provides very specific and explicit definitions for aionios-life and NOT ONE definition approaches the concept of being physically alive."

It goes on in great detail and seems to make good sense.  Any thoughts on this guys?  :grin:

Nice find, Cat.  :thumbsup:
God does not instruct us to pray to change His mind. He wants us to pray so that we'll know His mind.

"Prayer doesn't change God, it changes me." --C.S. Lewis

God never had or needed a Plan B. He's still on Plan A.

Res Veritas Loquitur

Offline Cardinal

• < Moderator >
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
 :cloud9: thanks for summarizing that for me, WW......now I get what the "battle" is over.....Blessings.....
"I would rather train twenty men to pray, than a thousand to preach; A minister's highest mission ought to be to teach his people to pray." -H. MacGregor

Offline legoman

« Reply #203 on: March 09, 2009, 03:30:18 AM »
Good article Cat - he has some links to Ray Smith's & Mike Vinson's writings...

He pointed out something I hadn't considered before, namely that the definition of "aionios life" is given in scripture:

John 17:3 and this is the life age-during [aionios], that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;

I will have to reread those articles again.

Legoman