Author Topic: Simple tips on dealing with Traditionalist Christians  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Universalist Catholic

Simple tips on dealing with Traditionalist Christians
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »
1.  Keep your cool. 
It is definitely frustrating to be constantly attacked by Traditionalists who constantly tell you that your wrong, and will resort to a real nastiness.  But we dont want to stoop down to their level, and harrass those who disagree with.  It would just give them a reason to make themselves feel persecuted, and another reason to make them think that we cannot handle the truth.  In reality, they are more angry, because it is becoming clearer due to new technologies and discoveries, because they can no longer claim to know the full truth.
2.  Keep to the Scriptures
Try to show them the various scriptures that specifically speak of Universal Salvation.  Make sure you also show them the scriptures that speak of Purgation Fires.  Show them New Testament and Old Testament scriptures, and how they are parallel with the idea of temporary punishment.  And dont forget to explain the real meaning of the word "aion".  If they continue to argue, dont further argue with them.  Its not worth it.  Be the big person.
3.  Avoid Philosophical arguments.
Using non-biblical arguments will only give them an idea that you are not true to bible teachings.  If you ask them to explain why someone has to be punished forever over one sin, they will explain that sin against an infinite being merits infinite punishment.  That is nothing more than Thomasthian Philosopy from I believe the 12th Century St. Thomas Aquaintas.  In the other case, they will say "God doesnt sent anyone to hell, you do".  Thats not what the bible says.  But this is just because today it is socially unacceptable to throw someone into a torture chamber, just because they did not do stuff your way.  Likewise, to make their God sound more appealing, they put the blame of eternal hell on the sinner.  Yet, in the Medieval era, it was totally socially acceptable to torture people for not doing stuff your way, and it would have been completely acceptable to believe God would do that to anyone.  Thats what was preached.   
4.  Dealing with Fundamentalist Catholics.
In their belief system, Jesus founded their Church, and is therefore the only true Church.  They believe Jesus gave St. Peter special rights to be the supreme leader of the Church, leading to the idea that the Headquarters in Rome were unable to error on anything Doctrinal.  So, they believe that since the Church cannot error, that Eternal Torment is the only truth.  They will not be persuaded if you show them Early Church Fathers quotes on Universal Salvation.  They will claim that this belief was condemned as a heresy, and therefore unchangeable.  Make sure you provide them with some non-biased resources on the Origins of the teaching on hell, the early Church, and the scriptures regarding UR.  Plus, it would be good for them to actually pay attention to the hymns sung in church.
5.  Dealing with Fundamentalist Protestants.
In their belief system, the bible is their only source to truth, so it is best to stay away from support from the Early Church.  No further studying of the bible or the symbolism is needed.  They prefer to have a literal interpretation of the bible, and tend to be bounded by the law.  They usually follow a very rigid form of Calvinist Theology, though they do not know it.  In their bibles, aion is translated forever, so make sure you let them know.  But there is a good chance that they have been severely brainwashed, and can only see the bible from their point of view.  Best bet is to be patient if they are giving you a hard time.

SQ

Re: Simple tips on dealing with Traditionalist Christians
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 05:20:53 AM »
I can only speak for myself, I don't worry over any of it.
  It is God's work to reveal in his time.
Good thing too! :HeartThrob:

Offline WhiteWings

• Gold
  • Yahshua heals
    • My sites
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:56 AM »
1 Timothy 2:3-4  ...God our Savior;  Who will have all men to be saved...
John 12:47  And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in the one who declares the ungodly righteous ...

Offline peacemaker

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:20:03 AM »
      It's all they can drink.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:49:47 AM »
im a little confused

Offline Beloved Servant

• Gold
  • David's sling
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:57:51 AM »

#6 is a cork, a joke. I think it's funny.

#7 is a visual reference to Scriptures:

1 Corinthians 3:2 (NIV)
I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

Hebrews 5:12 (NIV)
In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food!

Offline rosered

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
1Pe 4:17 For the time [is come] that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if [it] first [begin] at us, what shall the end [be] of them that obey not the gospel of God?  Hbr 6:10 For God [is] not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 
1Jo 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. 
1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 
1Jo 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 
1Jo 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us. 

1Jo 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.  1Jo 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.    :HeartThrob:

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12:34 PM »
I've been noticing that arguing with a traditionalist is really pointless.  No matter how many times you try to show them the scriptures and the original greek context, and the writings of the Early Church fathers, and they still wont listen.  Its impossible to win with them.  You give up arguing with them, they think they have won.  Yet if they quit the argument, they have been persecuted. 

Offline micah7:9

• Gold
  • Mic 7:8 Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine ene
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »
Yea Amen Yea.  I Thank the Psalmist for Selah
Mic 7:8  Thou dost not rejoice over me, O mine enemy, When I have fallen, I have risen, When I sit in darkness Jehovah is a light to me.