Author Topic: Job Chapter 10 Hell?  (Read 69 times)

Offline Searching_For_The_Truth

• Full
Job Chapter 10 Hell?
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
I am wondering what is the "land of darkness" that Job is referring to? Could it be Gehenna?

Job 10:20-22

20 Are not my days few? cease then, and let me alone, that I may take comfort a little,

21 Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;

22 A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness.

Offline gregoryfl

Re: Job Chapter 10 Hell?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:58 PM »
No, he is referring to Sheol. David referred to it this way:

You have set me down in the nether crypt, In utter darkness, in shadowy depths;"
(Psa 88:6)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:14:17 PM by gregoryfl »

Offline marie glen

• Bronze
  • HiS perfect intent? Besides paradise & perfection?
    • what I write
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »
No, he is referring to Sheol. David referred to it this way:

You have set me down in the nether crypt, In utter darkness, in shadowy depths;"
(Psa 88:6)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I can't remember if it was Job of Jacob who said "all meet in sheol" and also "hide me in sheol" (the grave)

I am wondering what is the "land of darkness" that Job is referring to? Could it be Gehenna?

Job 10:20-22

20 Are not my days few? cease then, and let me alone, that I may take comfort a little,

21 Before I go whence I shall not return, even to the land of darkness and the shadow of death;

22 A land of darkness, as darkness itself; and of the shadow of death, without any order, and where the light is as darkness.

I'm convinced the "lower parts of the earth" to which "Jesus descended" is the dust of the grave.. And Gehenna, we know, was the dump outside of Jerusalem where even the bodies of criminals were thrown and for this reason, the fire was not allowed to go out (was "not quenched")

And Jesus said how it would be better to toss one's hand or arm away into this gehenna rather than "harm one of these little ones" (or am I combining two scriptures in my mind? better to cast an eye or a hand there than so evil with them and have one's body as a criminal tossed into gehenna the town dump)

Hell, hades-the place of the dead - per the Greek (thought) ..place of the dead, still the dust of the grave, I believe..

Isaiah 14, especially verses 11 and 12 have an interesting reference, interesting to me anyway..
 - "How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!
"The maggot is spread under you,
And worms cover you
.' (Is 14:12,11)

Verse 15 continuing, mentions "hell" and "the pit" which original word "hell" was sheol (Strong's #7585) -- the pit of the grave.. where all go/meet
             :Peace2:
- Does it say no repentance after death? being resurrected still in their sins (2nd Resurrection) during age of Judgment? sure to be weeping and wailing?
- Is weeping & wailing the beginning of the redemptive process?
- "Behold I make aLL things new" Rev21:5
- "On every high mountain and hill, rivers and streams of waters in the day ..when the towers fall." Is 30:25
- "A new heavens and a new earth" Rev 21:1
- "The lion will eat straw like the ox.. the bear will graze with the cow" Is 11:7
- "They will sit each under his vine, and under his fig-tree, with none troubling.." Micah 4:4

Offline sheila

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
Jesus spoke of 'His hour" when the prince of this world 'nite' comes when no man can work.

'death' also..is part of the 'sin works of the devil' that Jesus come to break up! and break it up He did!!

He crashed through the gates of hell/death by the power of His Father.  the gates of hell[death/grave]

shall not prevail against the what He raise up! All shall behold this!!!

Job is speaking of his death..period..which

is 'sheol' the grave.   but let us be as David ..yeah,though I walk through the valley of the shadow

of death,I shalt not fear any evil,for Thou art with me.

I am convinced that nothing can seperate us from the love of God that is shown us through Jesus Christ!

not life nor death nor any power...   do you believe this?